Wednesday 15 May 2019

'It's because you come from Greenwich'

I went to see my osteopath yesterday. He knows that I am a Charlton supporter and he lived in Greenwich himself for over ten years. He said yesterday, 'I always knew you were from Greenwich because you pronounce it like the locals' ('Grinidge' rather that 'Grenwhich').

What I learnt yesterday was that he had lived there from 1995 to 2008, surely the most successful period in Charlton's history since the Jimmy Seed era. After the return to The Valley, we won promotion to the Premier League, although admittedly had left a year before my osteopath did.

He is not a football man and never came to The Valley but he remarked how embedded the club was in the local community, respected for its community work and with a high proportion of local supporters.

The win by Derby over Leeds in the play off final yesterday is a reminder that a one goal lead from the away leg is never enough. Mind you, Leeds have been the 'nearly men' of the Championship for some time now.

I remain cautiously confident because of the way the team has been playing. They have come into form at the right time and the morale of players and fans is high.

2 comments:

  1. Hello, I enjoy your posts and our team. Went to Doncaster and what a day.. I have been supporting CAFC since 1956 so a few years. Onwards and upwards.
    Best regards Dennis Storey

    ReplyDelete